Monday, February 05, 2007

Dakota.... I MISS YOU SOOOO MUCH


He was the biggest part of my life. He has been a part of the best of times and also the worst of times. He was not only my dog he was my kid, my best friend, my companion. He never complained about anything!! He always had the best ears for listening!! When I was sad he was there, when I was mad he hung around me, when I was happy he took part in my smile, when I was sad he just had to lay his head on me to show me that he cared. He was the kid of dog who never showed he was in pain or ever show any form of sadness. He was always happy and would always find a way to turn your frown upside down. I can truly say he was my pride and joy. It didn't take much to make him happy (treats, a walk, a car ride, a new toy) he loved the simple things because he was a simple dog! His love was unconditional, his heart was pure as gold, his face was one you could not walk away from. He saw the good in everyone, he was never shy always outgoing, but most of all he was the best dog and the only thing that not only kept me going after mom passed away but also showed me it was ok to love and be loved in return.

Dakota was born in Orlando Florida on January 25, 2001. He was for sale in front of Winn-Dixie (a grocery store in Florida). I always said it was fate that lead him to me. His story is a sad one but his life was a happy one. I was in College and went to Winn Dixie for some milk when I saw a pen of puppies. All of them were going fast and all that was left were three of dakota brothers. When I saw him and I put my hands in the pen to pet him but his 3 brothers jumped all over me and Dakota walked to the other end of the pen, so I followed. He was the smallest and the only one with a white patch on his chest, you can tell he was the runt.He stayed in the corner looking at me and at that min I knew he was the one. I had been looking for a dog for a few months but never saw one that really took my breath away until I saw dakota! I fought with the man about wanting him after he told me he was sick, and shy, and he is not the one I want. I picked Dakota up (never letting him go) and told the guys this is the one I want how much is he? The guys laughed at me and said 20.00 I said here and took Dakota home ... Ohh yeah I never got the milk I went to the store for that day haha... After spending an hr with dakota I never thought a 5.3 lbs puppy would ever become the biggest part of my life. That day 3/25/2001 was the beginning of my new life! I gave Dakota that one and only chance he needed to be rescued and that was the start of my new chapter with my best friend!!

Dakota showed me 6 years of joy and unconditional love!!!!! Dakota not only showed me how to love, he showed me how to live and for that I owe him everything. I cant help but think about how much more I could have done with him if I only new our time would be so short! I am sad and nothing will ever be able to fill that void because that dog meant more than the world to me!

When I bought Dakota I came across this poem. A poem in a card that I have cherished for the past 6 years. Its one I will never forget and also one that will always and forever remind me of him.

Dakota is my friend, my partner, my defender, he is my dog.
I am his life, his love, his leader. He will be mine, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. I owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Love, Your Owner

My mom fell in love with him, my dad found so much more happ

"Where did I go wrong
I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life"


No comments: