Friday, October 21, 2005

Pumpkin Patch

Ok so today in the torrential down pure of rain we have been having in south Florida the past few days we (alyssa and I) decided to venture on over to the pumpkin patch to pick out our Halloween pumpkins. We saw big ones, little ones, tall ones, skinny ones, fat ones, and yes even rotten ones ewww gross o yeah and for the record rotten pumpkins smell sooooooo bad!!!

Anyway we bought a total of 5 pumpkins (2 for me, 1 for Alyssa, 1 for Michael, and a small one for pumpkin pie) Yes I had this brilliant idea to make a pumpkin pie because I had no plans for tonight and well I just wanted to. I got home and surfed the net for no lie 1 hr looking for a recipe for pumpkin pie from scratch. Yeah let just say a from scratch pumpkin pie recipe is very very very hard to find, so since I had no luck online I decided to go to the store and folloiw a recipe out of a cooking magazines. I saw this one magazine called Holiday Recipe Card Collection 2005. I thought to myself BINGO :) and started flipping through the pages. I came across this pumpkin pie recipe and saw they had both canned pumpkin pie and also real pumpkin mix so I grabbed it and put it in my cart. I wheeled around the grocery store getting what I need to make some home made pumpkin pies :). I went to check out and well lets just say it would have been cheeper to bye 10 pumpkin pies rather than making it because the total was $39.00 O yeah and that recipe magazine was 6.99 .... Yeah WTF is right ... when it rang up I was like OOooooo WHAT ..... then just said o well i need it so I paid the guy and headed home.

I started to mutilate the pumpkin for the pie and talk about hard work. I was working on it for 2 hours till my dad came home and started to laugh at me ... after he yelled "what the hell are you doing" in his heavy greek accent (dad is a chef so he knows his shit) I told him I was making pumpkin pie and cutting up the pumpkin. He started to laugh again and said it is not happening lol you have to boil it. I said no you cut it up and mash it with a fork ...... after 30 mins of mashing with a fork I saw that my method was clearly not at all working so I looked at him and said how the hell am I supposed to know you boil it to get the skin off..... I got two big pots out and started the boiling process. After 45 mins of boiling the pumpkins I have to say it worked ... so my father that damn greek once again proved me wrong

NOTE TO SELF:::: never argue with a chef hahaha!!!

Ok so I finish the pumpkins look at my clock and notice I have been working on these pies for the past 3 hrs. Yes a friday night and I am home experimenting on making pumpkin pie from scratch I HAVE NO LIFE!!!

Ok so I start to mix the ingredients.... the more I mixed the better it looked and smelled. I was so excited and could not wait to start baking them. I originally bought 2 pie pans and after I filled them up I noticed I had a lot of pumpkin mix left over so I had to make a quick run to the grocery store. When I got home the house smelled soooooo goooooood so I was stoked i mean come one pumpkin pie from scratch no one does that anymore :) whoohoo I was so doing the happy dance!!!

I cook all 4 big pies and 12 little personal size pies and let them cool off. They looked good, smelled good, and for the record I dont like pumpkin pie at all but I was sure looking forward to trying one. Yes you read right all that work for something that I hate hahaha. The time now is 11:35pm and I attempt to just suck up hating pumpkin pie so I can try what I have been baking for the past 6 hrs ..................

A $4.00 pumpkin, $39.00 for all the ingredients, a total of 6 hrs in a kitchen, the aroma around the house is like a lit pumpkin pie candle sooooo gooooood, but lets just say smells and looks can totally be deceiving ..... THEY ARE SO GROSSSSSSSS I cant even start to tell you how bad they are.

So now we have all these pumpkin pies in are fridge that I know I am not gonna eat, bro is out of town this weekend but when he comes back he is gonna think they are just bad ... yes BAD, and tomorrow when dad tries one he is just gonna laugh his ass off when he tried my horrible pumpkin pies and never let me live this day down. Why did I not get that cooking gene ... I mean come on mom can cook, dad can cook, my whole family can cook ... I swear they so had to have swtiched me at birth in the hospital!!!

Why is it when I think up these harebrained ideas no one stops me ... ALYSSA??? DANIT??? Yeah I am talking to the both of you!!

Over all was it worth it???? Well ..... ummmmm ??? Ok Ok Ok Ok Ok the truth is O YEAH :) hey we all live and learn from out mistsakes even if it was a $43.00 and 6 hrs later gross tasting lesson ... I still had fun ..... I know that thanksgiving is just around the corner so I might just try making it again. Just to say I have and who know maybe then I will say whoohoo I did it!!

Ok Ok Ok I am all pumpkin out ..... so yeah that was my friday night .... how was yours????

No comments: