Sunday, January 08, 2006

Moms 1yr mass

Moms One Year Memorial service was today.

FORTY-DAY MEMORIAL SERVICE AND ONE YEAR MASS AFTER A DEATH ....
It is traditional for the family to sit in the front row of the church before the icon of Christ during the service. The family provides a wheat dish called kollyva, a symbolic custom

MEANING ::::::
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit. John: 12:24

The message of everlasting eternal life and hope is symbolically represented by the white mound of kollyva on a tray bearing a cross and the deceased's initials in Greek. The tray rests on a small table with candles in front of the church ikonostasion during the memorial service. After church the family shares the kollyva with the rest of the congregation.

*******************************
It was a long long long long service and to all of you who were able to attend thank you so much .... Dad Michael and I appreciate it , but I also I have to say I am sooooo sorry .... It was a long long standing , all greek, boring, and cold service ... so on the memorable note I have to promise you all that I will NOT have a greek wedding :) !!!!

The service like I said was a long one OMG it was sooooooo long ... I dont have the energy or time to write all about what happened ... short version is ... we had to sit upfront, the mane next to me was falling asleep, I kept crying because I kept thinking of mom ... note to the world I got baptized when I was younger (they dunk greeks underwater from head to toe) and today I was baptized again.... omg dont get me started on that ..... Yeah lets just leave it at that ... actually I have to thank god that Alyssa was not next to me because we would have gotten kicked out of church from laughing..... why is it that every one year mass some crazy shit happens to make it a memorable one .... I guess that is a good thing haha!!

Well it was nice service, and I was so glad we were able to get the wheat on the alter and also moms name in the bulletin!

No comments: